Saturday, April 4, 2015

The meaning......

 
This is one of my favorite banners. It depicts nature scenes such as the ocean, the earth, space, animals, and fruits of the land. I bought it purely because of its non-religious nature. As a Unitarian Universalist who is a secular Pagan (in a lot of aspects) I support our planet as our nurturer. It was up in the nursery class at church when I worked there full time but as I stopped working every Sunday I decided to move the banner to my regular classroom at my day job. The owner of the daycare where I work is a Christian and plenty of the parents that send their children there are Christians. Several parents complained that this simple nature banner depicted Wiccan symbols. I nearly turned in my resignation when I was asked to take it down. I was upset because it clearly is not Wiccan and even if it were who cares. One child was not allowed in my class for fear of "non-Christian indoctrination". Other children were steered away from me and my class but the majority of the families never noticed the banner going up or coming down. My frustration is that all of the Christians that I work with lead such non-Christian lives full of greed and hierocracy and my attempt to just bring nature into my classroom is "evil". I have to keep so much of my inner self buried that my stress level is sky high. I try and try but being true to oneself can cost you so much. I wish I had the courage to find a job that supports me emotionally but then I remind myself it is called work for a reason. Some lucky few are able to have jobs that nurture them. I am not so lucky......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 25th Birthday Lyn

My oldest daughter is 25 today. She has accomplished so much in her life. I am so proud of her. She was such a delightful surprise when I wa...